Sunday, August 8, 2010

If you can't beat 'em, make your own damn rules!


Back so soon! Aren't you impressed?!

Since I've been sick, my diet has changed significantly as I've been unable to eat the way I used to. In particular, I've noticed that sweet and sugary items make me feel ill, especially when they're... not the most natural ways to get your sugar fix (Hello, ice cream and Betty Crocker. I'm looking at you...). Instead, I've been searching for healthier ways to satisfy my sweet tooth while not overdoing it on my poor tummy. Things like sugar-free pudding and fat-free yogurt are great for a creamy fix, but sometimes a girl wants a baked good!

Today, I noticed three super ripe bananas sitting on my counter, and I decided I'd better use them up quick before they go bad. Baked goods and ripe bananas go together like bees and honey, but I was looking for more than basic banana bread. That's when I stumbled upon a recipe for Banana-Cocoa Muffins on the Kelloggs website.

By using healthy Special K cereal, naturally sweet bananas, and the addition of peanut butter chips, these muffins are moist and perfectly delectable without being overwhelming. As always, I've adapted the recipe, but feel free to check out the original.

Cocoa-Banana and Peanut Butter Muffins

Ingredients:

3 mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® Special K® Original cereal
1 cup fat-free milk
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup peanut butter baking chips

Tools:

12-cup muffin pan
mixing bowl
mixing spoon
measuring cups
measuring spoons
optional: muffin liners

Instructions:

1. Mash bananas in a mixing bowl. Add milk and cereal, mix together, and let sit for two minutes to allow the milk to moisten the cereal.


2. Add egg whites, oil, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Mix thoroughly.



3. Add cocoa powder and mix until combined.


4. Add the peanut butter chips and flour, mixing well.

5. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners. Fill to the brim with muffin mix.


6. Bake at 400˚F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment